Scattare una foto o farsi un selfie in un vantage point on Lake Como is certainly priceless (ma tanti likes su FB ed IG!) 😀
From above everything is always more suggestive and unique, which is why we wrote this article, inviting you to go to two particular places with funicular and cable car… which is not the same thing!
Discover the difference with us:
- the funicolare travels on the ground bound to a track system and returns indirectly to the ground rail transport,
- the cableway travels suspended by ropes and belongs to the rope transport.
Brunate is a town in the province of Como known for the presence of numerous villas in an eclectic and liberty style, villas in an eclectic and liberty style, to be connected to the city of Como through one funicular and the many panoramic point from which you can see the entire western Alpine area, the Po Valley and the Apennines, a characteristic that has made it know as the “Balcone sulle Alpi”.
The addresses of the stations for taking the funicular are:
From COMO: Piazza Alcide de Gasperi, 4, 22100 Como CO
From BRUNATE: Piazza Bonacossa, 22034 Brunate CO
WHAT TO VISIT IN BRUNATE
- Faro Voltiano, located on top of Monte Tre Croci, in the hamlet of San Maurizio. From its summit there is a wide view of the western arc of the Alps, up to the summit of Monte Rosa. The lighthouse lights up every day, at dawn and dusk, with the colors of the Italian flag.
- Other vantage points are the Belvedere di via Pirrotta, that of piazzale Bonacossa and theSagrato della Chiesa di Sant’Andrea.
- The main church is the Sant’Andrea Apostolo (XIV Century), patron saint of Brunate. Inside it a pipe organ of 1827 and and the relics of Maddalena Alberici.
- Other religious buildings are the Churches of the Madonna of Pompeii, of the Sacred Heart of Jesus, of Saint Maurice and the Sanctuary of Saint Rita, a CAO.
Civil buildings and villas:
- The town develops like a village, with narrow streets and several courtyards, including the “Corte del Castello” and the “Corte degli Ebrei“.
- Coming out of the historic center, there are villas in eclectic and liberty style, the most particular are “Villa Duca” and “Villa Calderini” and “Villa Pirotta”, nicknamed “La Piccola Versailles”.
Trekking and nature trails:
Starting from the Piazzale della Funicolare, in Brunate, you can make beautiful walks.
È possibile recarsi a piedi a Como seguendo two path: the one thatruns along the Funicular and that passes through theHermitage of San Donato (ex convento del XV century).
Another recommended excursion is for the Monte Piatto which combines the beauty of the places with the archaeological discovery of the Avelli and Pietra Pendula.
Funicolare in service from 6.00 am to 22.30 pm, Saturday from 6.00 am to 24.00 pm.
During the summer period, extension of the service until 24.00 pm.
The journey takes less than 7 minutes, departing every 30 minutes.
Ordinary single journey € 3.00
Round trip ordinary € 5.50
Reduced single journey * € 2.00
32/5000 Reduced return ticket * € 3.20
Carnet 11 trips € 30
*up to 12 years
Children up to 1.10 meters tall travel for free
Small pets € 1.20
Large animals and baggage of such dimensions as to occupy a seat € 3.00
Dogs for the blind travel for free
Dogs must be muzzled
INFO AND CONTACTS
Consult the official website:www.funicolarecomo.it
piazza Alcide de Gasperi, 4 – 22100 Como
Pigra è un small town but rich in history, located on the buttress of Monte Costone, called Camoggia, at the mouth of the Val d’Intelvi.
Pigra è l’ideale is the ideal starting point for excursions sul Monte Galbiga, all’Alpe di Colonno e al Tellero.
The station addresses for taking the cableways are:
From ARGEGNO: via Spluga, 39, 22010 Argegno CO
From PIGRA: via alla Funivia, 9, 22020 Pigra CO
WHAT TO VISIT IN PIGRA
The historic center of Pigrais characterized by:
- ancient houses that still preserve the beautiful decorations of the time,
- the square dedicated to San Rocco with the homonymous Oratory, surrounded by dwellings with refined 18th century stucco decorations,
- the Chiesa Parrocchiale di Santa Margherita, built around the middle of the sixteenth century, it enjoys a splendid tower bell tower while inside it is possible to admire a polychrome scagliola frontal and some paintings of the ‘600,
- Al Cason, the large house where the local Società Operaia founded in 1877.
During the summer season the cable car runs fromfrom: 8:30 am to 12:00 am and from 14:30 pm alle 18:30pm. During the winter season, instead, the schedule includes journeysfrom 6:40 am to 11:30 am and from 14:00 pm to 16:30 pm on weekdaysi, and from 8:30 am to 12:00 am and from 14:00 pm to 17:00 pm on holidays.
The journey takes 4 minutes departing every 30 minutes.
Ordinary single journey € 3.40
Round trip ordinary € 4.50
Reduced single journey (under 12 years) € 2.00
Reduced round trip (under 12 years) € 2.80
Single ride animals € 2.80
INFO AND CONTACTS
Consult the official website: www.aapigra.it
Telephone station of Argegno: 031 821344
Telephone station of Pigra: 031 810844
This post is also available in: Italian
More from Made in Comolake
The Greenway dei Patriarchi is a walk that passes through Varenna and in some of its closest hamlets such as; …
San Valentino 2020: cosa fare sul lago di Como e dintorni. Scopri i nostri consigli per passeggiate ed itinerari alla …